Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Last Week In Russia


First, my apologies for taking so long to update my blog.  So much happened during my 6 weeks in Russia, it took some time to process everything and then to decide which parts to write about.   Also, when I first came home, I was really sick.  Then, I had to catch up on my schoolwork, turn in my projects and take 1st semester finals.  After that, honestly, it was mostly laziness.   Sorry.
                My last week in St. Petersburg was absolutely amazing! I finally got comfortable with the whole subway system and traveling around the big city.  I felt and apparently looked and sounded like a true Russian; I had several people stop me and ask me where to go.  Surprisingly, I was able to help!!
                After five weeks of living in a group home with 13 teenage girls, I moved back into the actual orphanage I lived in 10 years ago.  Of course, it was strange walking the same stairs, looking out the same windows and seeing some of the same staff, but what an experience; I looked at everything with a different perspective.  No longer was I one of the orphans running around, but I was someone that has a family.  It made me realize again how much God has blessed me and how I now get to share the blessings and love I've received with these children.   For a moment, I saw myself as one of the missionaries that came out to the orphanage when I lived there.  What a role change!!
                I was assigned to work with the 4-6 year old.   They are so precious!  We bonded the moment I walked in.  In the mornings, I helped feed them, bathe and dress them.  In the afternoons, I played with them or accompanied them on outings.  In the evenings, I tucked them in and read bedtime stories to them.  Some even started to call me mom- it’s heart breaking to see such beautiful, young children lacking a mother’s attention.  Constantly, they drew  pictures of their family being all together once again.
                One boy, in particular stood out to me; his name was Donya.  At first, he was distant and shy, but the more we spent time together, the more I fell in love with him. He was the youngest one there, and if I could, I would adopt him in a heartbeat!  When I would pick him up he’d say, “My mom thinks I’m too heavy, but you don’t.”  So much need expressed so simply made it hard to ever put him down.
                Every one of these ‘little snowflakes’ has a special place in my heart:  precocious Lada, curious Sveta, happy Nikita, soulful Polina, precious Alona ...   I will never forget their hugs and kisses.   I will never forget the moments I walked through the door and hear them all screaming “Yay! Aunt Ana is here!.” I will never forget the times we sat around and talked about how great our Heavenly Father is.  I truly felt used by God and blessed for the opportunity.  This time and these precious little ones are one of those treasures I’ve stored in my heart and stored up for myself in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment