Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Hidden Truth


House of Mercy isn't technically an orphanage; they call it a social rehabilitation center. The kids’ parents here are in the process of either getting their child back, or losing their parental rights. That being said, most children at House of Mercy want to go back to their parents rather then get transferred to an orphanage.  And that being said…
 I asked each girl about how they got here, and most answered, “I just skipped too many days of school, or my apartment was a mess when a social worker walked in.” Surprised, that no one said it was because they weren't being taken care of at home; I further asked, “Were you treated well at home?” And the most common answer was, “I was beaten, but I got used to it, so it’s alright.” Each girl hopes to return home no matter what the circumstances are. They believe that it is their own fault that they are in here. One girl said, “If only I would have gone to school and cleaned up the apartment, I would be with my dad now.” Another girl told me that her mom put her here as a punishment for skipping school and when she is 18 she can come back and apologize.  From everything else I heard, I could tell that’s just her moms’ excuse to not raise her child, but Sveta is blind to that truth.
These girls are in major need of acceptance, attention, faith and love. They are not worried about going back to their broken homes as long as they belong to a… “family”…  The reality is that they get teased and looked down upon everyday at school for being the “orphanage kids.” So if going back to a violent   home will make that nickname “orphan kid” go away, well… then be it!  That’s the way they think.
 It’s a sad truth, but I too, once thought and felt that way, I wanted to go back to my mom…I understand them so I can connect with them, but it breaks my heart to know their pain.  I’m almost re-living it with them. There is a light in that dark tunnel though, I found it in Jesus.  I hope to guide them to that light as well... With God all things are possible! He can heal them, He can find them a place where they will be truly accepted and loved. I know there is hope for each one of these girls and God has a plan for them. I pray He uses me greatly and His love through me would be the key to their healing, wholeness and hope.

Note: Childrens names were changed.

1 comment:

  1. sweet girl! there is hope and love for the future! and you are the light for these children! praying for your safety, peace and love of God to wash over you and those sweet children!

    ReplyDelete