Monday, December 3, 2012

Girls, Girls, Girls..


I made it to St. Petersburg! It is so beautiful here. Everything is covered with snow, I'm in  winter wonderland. I arrived here with a a peaceful heart, feeling ready for whatever awaits me. Yesterday I started my work at House of Mercy, social cohabitation center. 
The Director placed me to live in an apartment with 15 girls, ages 11-17.  He warned me that these girls are very difficult and have a lot of problems, and that I need to keep all my belongings locked up. I definitely feel the  hurt, abuse, and neglect from the past, on their faces...  Today, I walked some girls to school because yesterday they ran off. They told me that the other students at school were bullying them (pulling on their hair and bra straps, and one girls even got hit in the eye.) This is their reality everyday... 
Last night two phones were stolen right out of the caregivers desk and last week a girl was sent to a mental health institution. Even though living here is difficult, I fell in love with these girls. They are so in need of love, warmth, attention and faith.  They hug me non-stop and  one girls even asked me to tell her that I love her.
I have already shared my story about how God helped me,with couple girls, and they were very interested  and one girl said,   "I read my Bible today." I am excited to work here, I think  its funny that they call me Miss. Ciano.. But more importantly I am their friend.

Ps. there is no WiFi at the apartment, I'm at McDonald's right now.. So I will do my very best to keep you updated.





No comments:

Post a Comment